Underbite Jaw Surgery: The 2 Month Update

12.12.14



 (Left and Middle: Current Face Right: Day of Surgery)

Although a slightly generic comment can I just start off with saying I cannot believe how fast these past two months have gone. I am feeling extremely happy and can't wait to let you all know how I have been getting on and as there is quite a lot of things I would like to talk about I think I am just going to jump right into it!

Firstly, if you you have no idea what I am going on about you should take a look at my previous blog post (Underbite Jaw Surgery Pre & Post Op) which will give you an insight to my operation and the first 5 weeks post surgery. I had such a good response from my blog post and it brings me great joy to see that I have inspired and informed so many others of this procedure.

Swelling and Numbness: Looking at these photographs as a comparison it is clear to see that about 80% of my swelling has completely disappeared which is absolutely fantastic! My face shape is starting to become more defined and my lips no longer look like I'm trying to beat Pete Burns in a lip plumping competition.  However, I am still rocking the chubby cheek look especially in my right cheek which is noticeably more swollen than the left side. To be honest I'm not too sure why that is but after reading other peoples experiences it is very common so I'm not really that bothered! 

In terms of numbness I have found that some feeling has begun to return in my top lip which honestly is the best sensation in the world. I wouldn't say it was at its full potential yet but there is hope that my nerves love me and that they think I deserve to feel again. Apart from the numbness in my lip I would say that feeling is back in every other area of my face which again makes me realise that I am on the way to being 100% recovered. It also makes me ever so grateful for my amazing surgeons work.

Eating & drinking: I've finally past the 6 week stretch meaning that I am able to chew again and of course I have been taking full advance of my new chewing powers by eating pretty much anything that takes my fancy. However, I do still have some diet limitations meaning that apples, tough meat and that cheese burger is still a no-go but I'm enjoying having a wider food variety to choose from.

Stretching & pain: After surgery trying to stretch your jaw is extremely painful and for weeks I was only able to fit 1 - 2 fingers in my mouth. However, since moving back onto a solid food diet my jaw seems to have naturally adjusted to opening wider meaning I can now fit up to the width of 3 fingers in my mouth. Any pain is pretty much next to nothing although I find that I do get jaw ache after long hours of speaking as well as the scar at the roof of my upper gums becoming slightly sore at times, but it takes 3 - 6 months to be fully recovered so again I'm not in a rush to feel 100% normal.

Teeth & bite: My teeth and bite are looking absolutely amazing and recently the dentists have been telling me that I will be ready to have my brace removed soon which is very exciting! Although dentists can often over exaggerate sometimes so I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. Smiling still looks a bit false because my upper lip is stiff but I'm sure that will loosen as my swelling continues to decrease. 

Overall at 2 months post-op I am feeling extremely happy with my progress both visually and mentally. To summarise my progress I would say that: 
  1. My skin has cleared up a lot with any oily areas finally calming down.
  2. My hormones have settled meaning no more depressing breakdowns.
  3. I can eat most solid food at last!!!!
  4. The swelling has deduced leaving only my cheeks with 20% swelling.
  5. Most of my feeling in my face has returned leaving minimal if any numbness.
Documenting this journey so far has been really enjoyable and I can't wait to continue to keep you all updated. If anybody has any questions please feel free to message me.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook